The project completely re-configures a 1920's semi-detached cottage in Cambridge.
As the house was set back from its neighbours, we were able to obtain permission to extend to the front, creating a new room used as a study by the client. A carefully crafted sculptural form with walls and sloping roof clad in cedar boards, it was designed to contrast but also to be sympathetic to the original building. It is asymetrical with its roof extending up to meet the roof of the house, toped with a rooflight and with a corner glazed window facing the garden. The front door was repositioned alongside the extension, with a simple metal canopy fixed above.
Internally a much larger entrance hall was formed by combining the narrow hall and the old study. This completely alters the sense of scale of the house and provides the setting for a new stair to replace the narrow and steeply winding original. This is made from solid Douglas fir boards with the end grain exposed, and a blackened mild steel handrail. It required careful detailing to hide fixings and close co-ordination between joiner and metal worker, with sections of handrail slotted into place and welded together on site. The stair extends up to the loft with the landing bridging across the stair void linking a bedroom on one side with a shower room on the other.
To the rear of the house a poorly built extension was reconfigured and extended up to the first floor with kitchen and dining spoace on the ground and a bathroom and an ensuite above. This is also clad in cedar but with flat roofs and carefully placed rooflights and windows.
Throughout the house there is a calm atmosphere, with lye and white oil douglas fir floors and light tones chosen for the walls. Tongue and groove panelling was used in the study, bathrooms and to the side of the staircase. Everywhere there is a focus on daylight with generous rooflights and windows.